Saturday, August 28, 2010

Why I could never join a book club.

I don't like discussion questions at the end of books. In the same way I don't like discussing a book after I've read it - unless the underlying message is one of my passions, haha. If it's a movie I will more than likely LOVE to spend time in deep and thought-provoking conversation. But I feel that when you read a book you have to just sit back and let it soak in.

I just finished Dear John. I was pleasantly surprised with it after being disappointed in the movie. I feel that the movie captured a picture of society now and the way our culture looks at the world. It just left me with feelings of despair and loss and maybe I need to watch it again to give it another shot, but I didn't like the underlying longing and pain that came from the movie. Not to say that happy-go-lucky movies are all that are allowed, but hope, hope is what's needed.

I feel like while the movie was very in tune with culture today, there was something timeless about the book, something timeless about most books. It was much more pure than how Hollywood displayed it - not completely, sadly, but you know :) And hope was how the book ended, circling the lesson of selfless love so wonderfully. Bittersweet and still timeless in the hope that it shared.

I can't say I'll never join a book club but I savor good books too much to dissect them, piece by piece. (And this applies to every book I've read but the Bible and Ted Dekker's Sinner :))

No comments: