Monday, November 19, 2012

The Strain & Resting in His Will

The picture that comes into my mind when I think of my will against God's will always starts with an image of Tug-Of-War.  I'm on one end and He's on the other pulling back and forth.  But that image never sits well.  The more I realize the character of God, the more another image takes it's place.  His will is a strong oak tree, rooted, solid, and full of shelter.  A rope is tied to the oak tree and I'm the one on the other end away from its shelter in the miserable sun, pulling away like I'm going to get somewhere.

In many areas of my life I have laid down the reigns and welcomed His will but there are always other areas that make me pick up that rope again and start tugging.  It is life to constantly want things you can't have, to live your life for other things or for yourself, to stand on your own where worth cannot be found in whatever it is you're pulling towards.  You end up exhausting yourself from the strain and the longer you've spent pulling the harder it is to let go.  Meanwhile, the only sense of worth that is worth having, the only purpose worth living out, is found when you let go of that rope and walk towards the tree, finding much-needed rest, worth, and purpose under its shelter.





No comments: