Friday, October 22, 2010

Scary movies =O

Scary movies. I've never been a fan of them, though I scare easily so that's mostly why. I had conversations with friends where I'd simply ask them, "How can you watch scary movies??? I just can't get how it doesn't scare someone!" Ahaha, they'd just answer about how they just like them. One even talked about how there is good and evil in the world, so why be afraid of scary movies??? It made sense to me but I couldn't understand why they still freak me out so much.

I feel like light exposing the darkness will be a huge portion in my life in someway. I'm fascinated by it. So why would I be afraid of watching scary movies?

I finished Adam by Ted Dekker. I wasn't expecting what I read (spoiler alert!). I'll just say that there is an exorcism in the book! :D All his books are about evil and good which is probably why I love his books. As I was reading this one I came to a point where this woman was talking to a priest. This really made things come into focus for me and started my mind rolling:

In reference to what other people would say if she told them about the evil she witnessed,
"'It's just...no one would believe me.' She slammed the wheel with her palm. 'Do you know how crazy this is?'
"'You're wrong. Many do believe, or they wouldn't be frightened of movies on the subject, now, would they? Jaws terrified the country because people knew that shark attacks were real. The reason so many details of exorcism have been cliches in the movies is because they, too, are real. Any researcher will tell you that. Spiderman, Superman...not frightening, make-believe. But the movie The Exorcist? Except for a few details, amazingly accurate. And it terrifies us all. I say all this because you're right to be terrified, Heather. Frankly, it bothers even me.'"

As I read that, it made sense. the reason why I hate watching scary movies is because I believe it's real, so utterly real. And that's why I love light exposing the darkness so much. Because I believe in the power of Light and the power of Darkness when it is given free reign. And frankly, I don't trust Hollywood to do a very good job at displaying it in the right way because they don't believe the Right Way. The fact that crazy unexplainable things happen when scary movies are being made is not taken lightly by me. I don't want to allow Satan to have a foothold in my life.

I would rather experience it in real life than in front of a movie screen. I've been in places where I've felt spiritual uneasiness and felt the spiritual warfare going on. I don't want to crack a door by being in a scary movie as my fears get the best of me. I want to always be on my guard with the Truth. I want the darkness to tremble.

We as Christians have the confidence that darkness can't get to us if we don't allow it but that doesn't mean I want to play around with it. And this is just my opinion and my conviction as of now. The fact that I terrify easily also plays a huge role in it :D

Well, what about movies on Exorcisms? Yeah, I saw the Exorcism of Emily Rose (how they convinced me to watch it is beyond me). Again, I think it goes back to the fact that I just don't like watching it, it being recorded to play over and over again in a sense. The fact that crazy things happened in the making of that movie alone gives me the confidence that it's real. Reading it was a little different then watching it, as this book showed me. The event leading up to it scared me more than the actual exorcism. I didn't mind so much reading it and don't know why. Though that doesn't mean I'm going to go out and buy books on them, that's for sure!

That's my take on that. Just some things to think about. Maybe one day I won't have the same conviction and terror with scary movies, but until that day comes you'll have to drag me or give me chocolate and a pillow and someone to punch in order for me see one with you! ;)

No comments: