Tuesday, January 10, 2012

"Paul was the Ultimate Church Hopper"

Disclaimer: No, I'm not going to be talking about Paul and the fact that he traveled from church to church. I feel like he was more teacher or "missionary" in the early Church. Although, in some individuals' definition of "Church Hopping" he would be considered a pro. ;)

I want to talk about what the definition of Church-Hopping really is.* The term means, "Someone who goes from one church to the other without gaining roots and connections." It means someone who goes from church to church just taking without gaining relationships and giving much of themselves. They generally don't trust those in church or choose to be simply only observers.

But here's the sad thing. I have seen this term placed on people who are a part of a church but visit other churches or even, God-forbid(!), help lead worship at another church. Heck, I have even been called a Church Hopper!

The thing is, these people that fit under the above description are a part of a Church. They love Jesus more than anything. So they want to help other bodies of Believers as well! Or at the very least, visit them!

Please don't get me wrong here. I do believe that you should be a part of a Church that you can be on Mission with. A church that you feel safe under the leadership of and free to love God, love others, and listen to the Holy Spirit and His working in your life while partnering to be the Church around you. That, after-all, is what we are called to do.

It is just sad when terms are twisted into things they are not. People are labeled as having a "rebellious spirit" because they question the way things are done and perceived. To whom are they having a rebellious spirit? To God or to the leadership? Because in all honestly, I'd rather have a rebellious spirit to a human than to God, if the Holy Spirit is the one questioning.

If you are listening to the Holy Spirit and He is calling you to go visit this Church or to help this Believer out, by all means, go! Obviously, if you have obligations you have to stick with them but let's tear down the walls we build between each other.

Honestly, I know Believers whom I love and who are there for me in many different churches. Heck, in many different states and countries! This is just a thought but it may be extremely healthy to visit another church at least once every eight weeks just to see what other Believers in the area are doing! When I was raising support for Thailand I helped a local church with their nursery to gain some extra support money. They were the same people that allowed me to have a spaghetti dinner at their church while raising money for The Honor Academy and afterwards prayed over me! Was I a member of their church? No. But I was a fellow Believer and even though their church since moved to another area I still think and pray for them.

I just think there would be such freedom to live and love if we took the man-made rules off of things. I know I say this all the time but I feel like it's the very thing that will free us all. Learn what the Holy Spirit's voice sounds like and listen to Him. Yes, I believe my destiny is tied to my leader, the leader being Christ. If I felt like my destiny was connected to an earthly leader back as a senior in high school I probably wouldn't have gone to The Honor Academy and later to Thailand. That's just something to think about.

Doesn't it always seem to fall back to learning to hear His voice? It really all should.

*If you'd like to figure out if you're a church hopper or not, here's a Church Hopping Score Card you can grade yourself on by John Acuff. ;)

No comments: